Update: Household Support Fund (HSF)
On 20 February 2023 The Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (“the Secretary of State”) allocated Croydon Council £6,027,379 Household Support Fund (HSF) Extension Grant for the period 1 April 2023 – 31 March 2024.
Cabinet approval for the proposed allocation of the full award is being sought on 24 May 2023 and is anticipated to be rolled out on 2 June 2023.
The Corporate Director of Housing has allocated £200,000.00 of the Household Support Fund to the Discretionary Support Team to distribute in advance of the Cabinet decision.
This will enable qualifying residents in crisis to access the application-based support element of the fund from Monday 15 May 2023.
All residents who fulfil the following eligibility criteria for the fund will have their applications considered:
Application based support.
- Top-ups for pre-paid energy and water meters
- Assistance with energy and water bills debts
- Food vouchers
- Essential items relating to energy or water e.g., clothing, bedding, heater, and appliances.
- Essential items relating to food e.g., slow cooker, microwave, cooker, fridge.
- Items related to essential transport e.g., travel ticket, bicycle and helmet.
- Other essential household items e.g., furniture, minor adaptions, draft excluders
- Housing support (in exceptional circumstances, excluding mortgage payment)
- Application turnaround time is typically 1-2 weeks. However, in urgent cases it will be done within 1-3 working days.
CRITERIA FOR APPLICATION BASED FUND
- Primary criteria
- Evidence of a low income, and
- Evidence of a crisis or
- Evidence of hardship or
- Risk of escalation (including referral from statutory services), and
- An identified need e.g., vulnerability disability, health issue, carer, children
- Secondary criteria
- Priority given to first time applicants, those not eligible for other types of help.
- Typically, one appliance only per application
- Awards typically capped and prioritised in accordance with published guidelines.
- Additional discretion can be applied in exceptional circumstances.
- Support with housing costs will only be provided in exceptional circumstances.
- It will not be awarded for ongoing housing costs or unsustainable tenancies.
- It will not be awarded to provide mortgage support.
- In exceptional and genuine emergencies, it can provide support for historical arrears.
It is important that the Household Support Fund reaches those most in need, and I welcome your support in sign posting residents to the Fund.
How to apply
Residents can apply via our website Household Support Fund (HSF) | Croydon Council or they can call us on 0208 760 5719 and applications can be taken over the phone.