New Volunteer Role, available with the Asian Resource Centre Croydon
Expert Patients Program (EPP)
Volunteer EPP Course Tutor
This role is ideal for someone interested in making a positive difference to the lives of others.
The Expert Patients Programme (EPP) is a 6-week course for anyone living with 1 or more long term health conditions such as, COPD, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.
The course is designed to help people cope with their health condition, find solutions to common problems and feel more in control.
The programme is designed to equip people with long-term conditions to:
· Lead a healthy lifestyle
· Communicate with others more easily
· Take care of pain, tiredness and depression
· Use problem solving and action planning skills
· Work better with health and other professionals
· An EPP Course Tutor will help other people manage their long-term conditions.
· You will lead a 6-week course, with sessions lasting 2.5 hours each week.
· Each course you teach will have up to 12 people (whether virtual or in the community).
· Some work will also need to be done via telephone, to check in on your patients progress during the covid pandemic.
· You will need to be holistic in your delivery – looking at the person’s overall health and wellbeing.
Throughout each course, you will signpost or refer patients to GP’s, appropriate charities, other LTC services, support groups, etc.
· You will develop peer-support groups with the other volunteer tutors and the EPP coordinator, so that when patients finish the Expert Patients Programme they can continue talking to like-minded people in their community. These can be weekly community groups, walking groups, Facebook groups, Virtual Coffee Mornings, etc.
· 3 – 4 hours a week ONLY during a 6-week course. You decide how many courses you want to do, the minimum is just 1 course a year.
· The role of the EPP course tutor is not accompanied by any financial remuneration, although expenses for travel may be claimed.
· We (Asian Resource Centre of Croydon Ltd) pay for your accredited EPP Tutor Training.
· Various Locations throughout Croydon
· Currently from your own home on Zoom.
· Work directly for the EPP Programme Coordinator at the Asian Resource Centre Croydon Ltd.
· Passionate about supporting and helping people
· A very good listener
· Highly motivated
· Zoom competent
· Experience working with people with health concerns, mental health issues, disabilities, financial concerns
· Comfortable working with other service providers and health services
· Ability to understand and speak other languages is very desirable
· We require you to have an Enhanced DBS check (if selected, we will apply for this on your behalf).
The Expert Patient Programme empowers people to manage and take control of their own health and wellbeing, which has many benefits:
1. Improves health and wellbeing
2. Improves care and quality
3. Improves financial sustainability
4. Enables the efficient allocation of resources
5. Legal duty
How people think and feel about their condition can have a huge impact on their health behaviours and outcomes;
· Self-efficacy refers to an individual’s belief in their capacity to successfully learn and perform a specific behaviour.
· A strong sense of self efficacy leads to a feeling of control, and willingness to take on and persist with new and difficult tasks.
· When applied to health this theory suggests that patients are empowered and motivated to manage their health problems when they feel confident in their ability to achieve their goal.
If you are interested, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org